[mythtv-users] SLIM vs, CPU--

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Oct 1 19:44:17 UTC 2008

On Oct 1, 2008, at 12:08 PM, Allen Edwards wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 10:06 AM, Brad DerManouelian
> <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
>> On Oct 1, 2008, at 8:59 AM, Allen Edwards wrote:
>>
>>> anyone?
>>
>> All the default playback profiles are spelled out here:
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Playback_profiles
>>

> I guess I should have said in my original post that I had read all
> that and more.  If you read that, you will come to the conclusion that
> CPU-- would be less CPU intensive than slim but I am seeing the
> opposite.  That was my question.  Sorry I was not clear.

That depends. If you're using PVR-350 and CPU-- and not playing back
MP2 recordings under 720x576, it would be MUCH more CPU intensive.
If XvMC isn't working correctly on your system, CPU-- would also be
more CPU intensive.
deinterlacers can use a lot of CPU if you're viewing interlaced content.
You mention audio skips. Is this only when viewing the OSD? This is
common with XvMC and the bob deinterlacer. Is this how you are
determining your CPU usage using each profile? What does top say about
your CPU when using each profile?

Bottom line is that there are way too many variables to tell you why
you're seeing what you're seeing - especially with the information
you've given about the content you're playing back (ATSC HD - that
could mean about a hundred things)

The way to figure out what's really happening is to look at your
frontend logs to see exactly what features are being used, then play
back the same content with the other playback profile and see which
features are being used and determine from there where the issue lies.
Could be as simple as not having UseEvents True in your xorg.conf
file. :)

-Brad