[mythtv-users] NVidia card lacking Xv overlay

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Oct 1 20:31:00 UTC 2008

DaveD wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 08/21/2007 02:27 AM, DaveD wrote:
>>
>>> What about the brightness/contrast adjustments?  This is something
>>> that really bugs the hell out of me.  Why should we have to take a
>>> giant step backward in functionality to upgrade to the latest
>>> hardware?  There must be some way around this.  I would think that
>>> Nvidia would provide some sort of wrapper so existing apps that rely
>>> on the overlay would retain their functionality.  Mplayer, Xine and
>>> MythTV (the ones I use, I assume there are others) all have this same
>>> problem.  Anyone have a solution?
>>>
>> AIUI, NVIDIA's recommendation is for applications to start supporting
>> the new OpenGL-based approach (on which Myth devs, among others, are
>> working).
>>
> This thread was over a year ago.  Any progress on this issue?  Does 0.22
> allow adjustment of brightness/contrast on playback?  Will we ever see
> that functionality again (I'm running 0.21 and see no sign of it
> working)?  Will I ever get the efficiency of my old AGP FX5200 that used
> less CPU on my 3200+ Athlon than my 7600GS does on my 4200+ dual core
> system?   Am I missing something by not compiling from source (instead
> of using Axel's excellent packages)?  Is Nvidia still insisting on not
> providing the xv overlay?  Do I need to alter my xorg.conf settings to
> get the new functionality?  Does anyone know of newer/different cards
> that provide the overlay (newer Nvidia, ATI, Matrox?) or that support
> some new standard?  If the Myth devs support the OpenGL-based approach
> that Mr. Dean mentions, can we expect similar actions from the devs of
> Mplayer, Xine, VLC, etc, etc, and will it lighten the load on the CPU
> the way the xv overlay did?

If you still have the card, go back to your FX5200 card, and use the
proprietary nvidia driver. Then make sure that the correct switches are
set in mythfrontend setup.. yes, you will have to carefully go through
each page... I think it is under Appearance, but it might be in TV Settings.
When set correctly, this will give you the menu 'G' and 'F'
capabilities: G for brightness, contrast,hue etc on record and F for
playback. But with nvidia cards, I don't think the nv driver can do any
of that. And newer boards after the 6000 series do not have chromakey
which cuts off certain capabilities.

Geoff