[mythtv-users] Multi-threaded h.264 decoding in 0.21

Tino Keitel tino.keitel at gmx.de
Sun Oct 5 16:27:37 UTC 2008

On Sat, Oct 04, 2008 at 12:38:35 -0400, Raymond Wagner wrote:

> Similarly, downloaded content ripped by someone who has no clue what
> they're doing may be single sliced.

It would be easier if ffmpeg would be able to encode using multiple
slices. However, it can't AFAIK. This makes it hard to even test this.
You need a HDTV source that is encoded with multiple slices, or
download some content ripped by someone who has properly encoded HDTV.

Once I tested such a peace of HDTV content on my notebook with an Intel
L7500 (1,6 GHz). At least these few seconds were played back smoothly
using both cores with still some CPU cycles left (~25% idle IIRC).

Regards,
Tino