[mythtv-users] reinitialize TV cards without rebooting?

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 08:36:28 UTC 2008

> but if I have removed the modules will they still be in this same
> directory so I can add them back?

Yes

>Do I use the full path name or just the module name.

just the module name, without the extension.  eg

/sbin/modprobe ivtv

Since I am not sure what I am doing with this modprobe
> command to remove/add modules I don't want to be doing something that
> could do damage or harm to my system.

You can't do any damage by removing or adding modules.  Or at least
nothing that a restart wouldn't fix.   You're just adding or removing
the software driver for some of your hardware devices; it's like
starting and stopping a programme, it doesn't touch any files. You
should be able to add and remove modules willy nilly until you get
into the state you want.  You may find that some modules have
dependecies on other modules, in which case modprobe will tell you
what needs to be installed or removed first.

> Should I back these files up somewhere where I can find them later if something goes wrong?

I don't think that's necessary.  At least no more necessary than any
of your other system files.