[mythtv-users] Mythtv and Microsoft Zune

Ivan Kowalenko kichigaimentat at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 16:39:28 UTC 2008

On Oct 6, 2008, at 10.41, Aaron Klein wrote:

> I know its likely a long shot but I figured this group would know.  I
> did a few quick searches on the net with nothing turning up.  I just
> acquired an original Zune 30 and am curious if there is a way within
> Myth or via command line to transcode the mpeg2 files I have to WMV
> version 9 for the Zune.  Unlike the newer models the original only
> supports WMV.

Not going to happen. Not any time soon, at least. WMV is such a locked-
down format that making anything that can play back WMV9, let alone
encode it, is going to take a long time to reverse engineer. Last I
heard, though, the Zune supported MPEG-4 (Even the Zune 30, with
Software updates): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928192?sd=zune

Or you could modify your Zune to play even more files: http://lifehacker.com/software/zune/hack-the-zune-software-to-support-more-audiovideo-formats-256728.php

> am able to transcoded various file types on my windows
> system using windows media encoder but my mythbox is actually a bit
> more powerful than my XP system so I was hoping to speed up the
> transcode time.

I think the easiest thing to do is use the Transcode For iPod script,
and just direct your Zune towards it.