[mythtv-users] What kind of Myth setups do you all have?

Jason Sullivan jason0x21 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 12:07:51 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Bobby Gill <bobbygill at rogers.com> wrote:
> Just out of curiousity, what kind of setups do our list regulars (or
> anyone!) have? ie., How many backends, frontends, which tuner card(s),
> remote(s), and how is the whole shebang connected and placed throughout the
> house/wherever? What kind of TV (HD, analog, etc.)? Do you use Myth for
> videos/pics/etc.? I'm trying to get ideas for myself as we move into a new
> house in a few months, I'd really appreciate feedback.

Separate backend/frontend.
Backend is an IBM Z-series dual 2.4GHz Xeon with 4G of memory and
around 500G of hard drive space.  I've got a single PVR-500 in it, and
a pinnacle USB HD tuner that I've yet to fiddle with.

Frontend is an Athlon-based board (3200? I forget) with 1G of memory
and a nominal hard drive (maybe a flash drive soon), with a Pinnacle
RC-6 MCE2 USB remote (with a blaster that I have yet to fiddle with).
I use an nVidia AGP card (forget the vintage (6600GT?), but it's not
too new), running svideo (planning on DVI, but have yet to fiddle with
it (notice a pattern?)), though a preamp -> amp combination and using
a 3-panel LCD projector for display.  I've got some nifty USB video
capture devices in hopes of eliminating the preamp, but I've yet to...
oh, never mind.  Case has an off-brand "Windows MCE" VFD that sort of
works with the LCD-proc pulled from CVS.

Only SD for now, but HD is planned for the future.  I do music almost
as much as video.  I pull random video off the internets and display
that.  I used to do pictures, but now I'm pining for a Flickr
interface.

--
Jason Sullivan
jason0x21 at gmail.com