[mythtv-users] What kind of Myth setups do you all have?

Glen Sagers gsagers at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 7 14:48:03 UTC 2008

Bobby Gill wrote:
> Just out of curiousity, what kind of setups do our list regulars (or
> anyone!) have? ie., How many backends, frontends, which tuner card(s),

Dunno that I'm a regular, but a regular lurker anyway...  This is what
I've accumulated, thanks to this list!  Wife was reluctant at first, but
now loves it more than I do.

All are running Gentoo, kept up-to-date, with the trunk packages in portage.

Main BE in office (also a webserver, VMware server, ssh, etc)
Dell 530, Quad-core, 2.4GHz
3GB RAM
500GB HD - 100GB OS and 400GB myth space
750GB HD - myth
Both HDs shared via NFS to slave BE and all FEs
PVR150 running via S-video to DishNetwork 622 STB, using PVR's blaster
Only output is to monitor via built-in intel integrated graphics

Slave BE/FE 1 - Living room
P4 2.0 GHz
512MB RAM
320GB HD - 25GB & 280GB myth
200GB HD - myth (videos, full DVD collection finally ripped)
Both HDs shared via NFS to master BE and all FEs
PVR250 running via coax to DishNetwork 622 STB, using generic IR blaster
Output to 32" CRT TV via S-video from GeForce 6200 using XVMc for HD streams
this box has the bare-minimum horsepower to decode HD signals.

FE 2 - bedroom
Athlon XP 2500+
1.5 GB RAM
80 GB HD - OS
NFS shares from other boxes mounted
no tuner
Output via VGA from GeForce 5700 to Vizio 32" LCD @ 1366x768 native
resolution) - gorgeous!
Tried DVI -> HDMI adapter, couldn't get modelines right.
Doesn't do HD well, mostly due to AGP incompatibility between kt400
chipset and video card.

HDHomerun for OTA signals

Wife's laptop
Celeron 530 (64-bit Celeron goodness!)
2GB RAM
80GB HD
NFS shares from other boxes mounted
Plays HD very well, as long as wired connection is used

Other misc. frontends come and go, mostly various ~1 GHz machines, on an
as-needed basis

1 other laptop used occasionally - dual-core, plays HD well.

Running over 100MBps switched network, sometimes over 802.11g wireless,
but wireless just doesn't cut it for HD recordings.

Upcoming in a few months is an upgrade to Dish HD with a PVR-HD, and
later this week an Athlon 64 3300+ a friend was discarding as a
replacement for the bedroom FE to hopefully handle HD better.