[mythtv-users] What kind of Myth setups do you all have?

Glen Sagers gsagers at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 7 19:14:46 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Oct 7, 2008, at 11:34 AM, Bobby Gill wrote:
>
>> I see quite a few have a 10/100mbps switch network, I am thinking of
>> getting a gigabit switch as I've had a plain ol' Linksys router for
>> quite some time now. How much of a difference would that make speed-
>> wise?
>
> Nothing if you don't have gigabit ethernet cards in your machines that
> are connected.
> Nothing if you aren't experiencing any network bandwidth-related
> issues currently.
> A HUGE difference if your machines support gigabit and you are
> experiencing network bottlenecks.

I have some machines with gigabit, and a gigabit switch, but right now
my master backend only has 100MBit.  I can record two HD streams from an
HDHomerun, and 2 SD streams from PVRx50 cards, plus watch at least one
stream on a remote FE without problems.  I haven't ever clocked the
exact network usage under those circumstances, but it doesn't seem to be
saturated.

That would make sense, considering that the SD recordings are set to
roughly DVD quality, or max 8 Mbits/sec, HD are about 20-25 Mbits/sec,
so the above traffic would total 25+25+8+8+8, or 74 Mbits/sec in the
worst case.  If your network is busy with large file transfers between
PCs, it could be a problems, but the overhead from web browsing or
similar activities would still have room.