[mythtv-users] Home Automation + MythTV/Linux

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Tue Oct 7 22:38:21 UTC 2008

Hi,

I would like to start working in the home automation area of Myth/Linux.
Any one have some good reads or experience in the area?  I did some reading
online but is very scattered/incomplete.

Right now im looking to do some simple lighting control in my Theater.  Ie
turn the lights off with a button push via lirc or turn them off when video
is playing, turn lamp on when viewing menus, etc.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Mitchell

    I just setup an X10 plug to a power strip that has my usb hard drives
connected to it. Since they were powered on and most of the week running
idle, i did this to save electricity and extend their lifespan. What i
bought from ebay was a CM17A (serial connection) and a RR501. Plug whatever
you want to control into the RR501. Install Bottle Rocket (apt-get install
bottlerocket in ubuntu), then just run:

 br a1 on

And power turns on.

br a1 off

and power turns off.

It cost me $20 total, including shipping. You could just get a few of the
RR501's and control all your lights.

I made it so that the power button on my remote turns the drives on (and
cron turns them off at night) ---we only use the drives for movie storage,
so they're only really used once or twice a week max.

Here's what i added to my lircrc:

begin
    button = Power
    prog = irexec
    repeat = 0
    config = /home/steve/mounts.sh &
end

Works great. Make sure irexec is running at boot. Also, just change the
button to whatever button you want to use. Obviously don't have any
duplicate button entries in your lircrc file.

Hope that helps.
-Steve