[mythtv-users] A/V delay when recording HD

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Tue Oct 7 23:52:19 UTC 2008

Brad Fuller wrote:

> AFA your captured stream: I assume you captured a QAM256 stream from
> the coax since you are using HDHR.

Well, forget the OP, explain my situation. :-)
So yeah, it's a QAM256 (I *think* it's 256), recorded by MythTV from an
HDHR tuner, from a regular Comcast cable feed. MPEG2 1080i. Upon
analysis, the A and V tracks in the .mpg file turned out to be not
aligned, there's an A/V timing difference slightly bigger than 1000ms.

MythTV and pretty much any player is aware of the difference and the
file is played in sync. So it looks like the timing diff is done on
purpose by some component of the recording chain, and the whole thing is
done properly.

My question was - why are not A and V muxed in sync? Why there's a time
delta at all? For some reason, I expected a file dumped from a broadcast
feed to have A and V in sync, with a 0 ms difference in between.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/