[mythtv-users] The best, coolest cases ... please weigh in ...

DaveD mythtv at guiplot.com
Wed Oct 8 02:39:53 UTC 2008

Marc Randolph wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 4:59 PM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
>
>>> [...]
>>> had a sale on Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 700 for under $20 each. I am
>>> finding that to be nice when working on the MythTV box, as I can (and
>>> do) use the keyboard as an oversized remote control. Also there is
>>> something pleasantly strange about using a Microsoft product on a
>>> Linux box :-) .
>>>
>> I'm using the remote that came with the LC11 case, and a Logitech Dinovo
>> bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I consider the latter as *must have* items
>>  for an 'out-in-the-open' setup...No wires!
>>

> What kind of range can you get with the Dinovo?
> What other keyboards do all you other people have that reach all the
> way down a normal sized rectangular shaped living room?

I'm using a Gyration wireless RF keyboard/mouse.  The mouse actually
works on a surface (optical) or in space (uses gyro-like actions) and
sits in a cradle/charger.  The keyboard uses 4 AA's that last about 6
months (and I use it a lot).  There is an RF tranceiver that connects to
the computer via USB that is shared by the keyboard and mouse.  They
claim 50 feet but I've never tested it that far.  I have gone to the
other end of our house, maybe 30 feet down the hall to a bedroom, and
have never had it fail to communicate.  I actually have two sets; one at
a console (that could be wired but is handy to have it wireless) and one
over in a drawer in the coffee table.  I am VERY happy with it (I bought
the second one) and agree that a wireless mouse and keyboard are a MUST
have in an HTPC setup.  You just can't get all the functionality crammed
into any remote.  I use my system for slide shows, watching YouTube
vids, online TV shows, etc, etc, etc, all from the couch!

DaveD