[mythtv-users] Using Xbox for a front end

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 07:20:40 UTC 2008

> Just to second what was written.  I bought a XBOX to use as a frontend.  I
> did successfully install Xebian and myth on it - but ended up giving it away
> to a colleague who wanted a gaming console.  I found it dog-slow, and it
> makes more noise than a 747 taking off.  XBMC is slick, but I wanted to run
> mythfrontend.  I replaced it with an Apple TV which, although slow, is
> orders of magnitude faster than the XBOX and it's dead silent.

I used two Xboxes as my main FEs in my Bedroom and Dayroom for a
couple of years.  Cheap and fairly easy and while slow and noisey,
they are fine for watching SD content.  I have since replaced them
with a couple of miniPC FEs but the Xboxes are still put to use in the
games-room and the little brothers bedroom.

If you have an Xbox lying around getting dusty, or can get one cheap
and have the time to put Xebian on there, do it.  Once you (and your
family) become reliant on myth, it gets easier to have more funding
approved for the real FEs you really want :)

Cheers,
Whytey