[mythtv-users] how to improve Myth (was "OT: I'm streaming Netflix on my Linux box")

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 15:12:15 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 10:02 AM, Magnus <magnus at yonderway.com> wrote:

> Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> > I don't want to see my movies with my TV shows.
>
> Nor should you have to.
>
> Though it should be optional.
>
> i.e. show me every piece of media that I have that has a credit for
> David Hasselhoff... I get every episode of the original Knight Rider
> series, the Spongebob Squarepants movie, an Apple trailer for "The
> Legend of the Dancing Ninja", some really awful music (that is
> supposedly very much appreciated in Germany, or so the story goes), and
> some snapshots of him that were taken at the state fair.  Because
> sometimes you just need your Hoff fix, right?
>
> Right now all of these media types are handled by different facilities.
>  Can't dump them into a mixed-media playlist.  It's all sort of
> counterintuitive.

Yeah, but I also consider this a slightly "unusual" workflow.  The low
hanging fruit is

1) I'm sitting down to watch TV - I go to Watch Recordings to watch recorded
TV
2) I'm sitting down to watch TV on DVD - I insert the DVD or go to MythVideo
to watch the rip
3) I'm sitting down to watch a movie - I insert the DVD or go to MythVideo
to watch the rip or go to Watch Recordings to watch recorded movies

It is #3 that really presents the use case that most people probably run
into most.  I don't see too many people searching across multiple media but
I suspect that this ability would arise as a side effect of addressing #3.