[mythtv-users] Watch list problem

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Oct 8 16:31:23 UTC 2008

On Oct 8, 2008, at 9:06 AM, Johnny Russ wrote:

> Perhaps.  It achieves a goal of "spreading the load" by giving you
> what to watch so you catch up on everything.  If you want to catch
> up on one show, use the title view list for that.  The 24 period
> also achieves a goal of mirroring many viewing habits of sitting
> down once per day to watch TV, thus the next day, you get a
> refreshed list of all your shows that need some catching up on.
> You can't make everyone happy with a feature like this so that was
> the goal attributed to this feature.  The only thing I'd really like
> to see is an indicator in the Watch List of how many back episodes
> there are for any title so that I can see quickly "Oh, I have 3
> episodes of Fringe to watch" and then I can switch to the title view
> to watch them in order.
>

> I agree that you are not going to be able to please everybody with a
> feature like this. But I do think you can frequently think about it
> a little bit and make a choose that is reasonable and benefits most
> users. As I said before the 1 day wait period makes the watch list
> very annoying, and even unusable for many users. However, not having
> the 1 day wait period would only mean that some people would have 1
> or 2 extra episodes in their watch list that they may not want to
> watch that night. Seems like a poor trade off for most users.

If I want to watch an episode and know I want to watch another after,
I go to that show's folder and pick the ones I want to see. Since I
sort my original air date, it's easy to figure out which one is "next"
for me.

If I don't know what to watch because there's too many new things or
not enough new things of immediate interest, I go to the Watch List so
I can see what I haven't seen and that might be auto-expired soon.

I believe this is the way it was meant to be used. Using one for the
other doesn't work. Also, you can't use a fork to screw in a
lightbulb. That doesn't make the fork a "problem".

-Brad

P.S. If you have 2 really old episodes of the same show sitting around
that you haven't watched and you watch one, the next one does
immediately come up - if, according to the algorithm, it should be
watched next. I sometimes forget to mark The Daily Show as Watched and
I often see one at the top of my list. I mark it watched and another
one comes up.