[mythtv-users] Before IMDB is Removed....

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 18:04:28 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> On 10/08/2008 11:16 AM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>
>  > On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Steve Sparkman wrote:
>  >
>  >> I'm having a minor problem with my MythTV setup. Whenever I try to
>  >> manually enter the IMDB number in the "Manually Enter IMDB #" box,
>  >> I can't type in the box. The grabber works fine. I've had this
>  >> problem since my last install 7 or 8 months ago. Now that it looks
>  >> like IMDB might go away, it would be nice to find a solution so I
>  >> can fill in the couple of blanks I have before it is too late.
>  >>
>  >> Does anyone have any ideas?
>  >
>  > Netflix has opened up their API. It should be relatively easy for
>  > someone with some coding experience to put together a script to
>  > download the cover art from them assuming that type of application
>  > fits their terms
>  >
>  > http://developer.netflix.com/
>
> Looking at the API Terms of Use (
> http://developer.netflix.com/page/Api_terms_of_use ), I see problems with:
>
> 1.7 Your Display of Content; Attribution and Goodwill. You must clearly
> and conspicuously attribute the source of all Content as received from
> Netflix. ...

Possible with some kind of entry in the DB for the source of the cover art

> 1.9 Appropriate Conduct and Usage Restrictions. (specifically, "you will
> not...download, scrape, post, or transmit, in any form or by any means,
> and part of Netflix service or Content other than Content which you post
> as part of your Application;")

As I read it, that's cool, we'd be downloading content which we post as part
of the application

> 1.10 Content And Other Data Retention. At the earlier of the end of an
> end user's session accessing their Netflix account from your Application
> or twenty-four (24) hours, you shall delete from your Application and
> data retention systems all Content and other data associated with the
> end user or their sessions ...

This is a "gotcha" and was my guess at the answer to my inquiry.  Not that
this is a bad thing per se, and it could certainly be integrated to
MythVideo to provide cover art on the fly.  I for one have my Internet
always available to downloading the art this way isn't a bid deal.  The
accuracy would be interesting :)

> 1.11 The Netflix API is made available only for the creation of
> Applications available to end users in the United States.

Interesting...

Kevin