[mythtv-users] Varying volume in Myth

David Segall david at segall.net
Thu Oct 9 05:06:10 UTC 2008

Lee Alkureishi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently installed mythtv on my new computer, and it's running
> smoother than my old one with HD content. However, I'm having some
> trouble with the sound.
>
> The system is:
> Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard
> Intel core2duo E6300
> 3Gb RAM
> Nvidia 7300 GT
> Onboard sound card - the TV speakers are connected to the green 3.5mm
> jack (3.5mm --> phono cable).
> ATI HDTV Wonder
>

> Kubuntu 8.04 (all updates) with kde 3.5
>
> Mythtv installed from repositories.
>
> When I'm watching TV, the sound volume varies from normal to very quiet
> and back again. It's can happen suddenly (as if I'd cut the volume by
> 80%), or gradually (as if I slowly turned down the volume knob). When it
> comes back up to normal, it's always gradual.
>
> I thought that it was limited to watching TV, but last night while
> watching a video file the volume remained extremely low throughout the
> hour-long video. I had to turn the TV right up so I could hear it!
>
> I've tried disabling myth's internal mixer, but it doesn't seem to have
> any effect. The audio device is set to "ALSA:default". If I change it to
> anything else in mythtv's setup, I get no sound at all.
>
> I hope someone here can give me a clue how to sort this out... The box
> is otherwise working great!
I had similar symptoms with my Asus P5PE-VM on-board sound which has a
different audio IC.  My MythTV box is in a bad location so I desperately
hoped it was overheating. I vacuumed the fans and heat sinks and turned
up the case fans. The problem went away but I don't really know why. One
of the reasons I suspected hardware was that the on-board Ethernet had
suddenly stopped working but my treatment did not cure that. :(
David Segall                     Email:  david at segall.net
Profectus Pty Ltd                Phone:  +61 3 9830 5026
1 Myrtle Road  		         Mobile: +61 4 1756 7246
Canterbury, VIC, 3126 Australia  Fax:    +61 3 9830 0959