[mythtv-users] Native Mythtv vs XBMC / Upnp / iphone / Other

Adam Skinner kingmoffa at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 11:41:59 UTC 2008

There has been some discussion recently on the list about the merits of
using something with a 'nicer' UI - ala XBMC. Whilst I wont go into that
debate, another issue may cause you to reconsider.

I live in a fringe reception area of DVB-T in the UK. Most of the time
my reception is pretty good , but often there are bad spikes lasting for
a few seconds.

Using Native mythtv frontend, the audio and video stay in sync 99% of
the time.At a guess, I expect this has something to do with the
recordedseek database table and better mythtv video playing.

Using XBMC  / PS3 with UPNP / iPhone transcoded recordings - a little
bit of reception problems makes the audio and video out of sync or the
file stops playing.

Seeking in general is far better with native mythfrontend.

Just a few thoughts for anyone with reception problems like me
considering other UIs.