[mythtv-users] Experience from running mythbackend under Xen

Jeppe N. Madsen jeppe at ingolfs.dk
Thu Oct 9 18:51:55 UTC 2008

Hi,

Some months ago, I started to experiment with running the mythbackend
under Xen. I'm happy to say I've now been running this in production
for two months and so far have seen no problems that I think are
related to Xen.

The only issue I have is some recordings are rather bad quality, but I
believe this is caused by poor signal/cabling which I intend to fix
RSN :-) The box is not yet really doing much besides running myth, so
don't know if an increased load will have an effect.

Some details: Hardware: 2x1TB+1x250G disk, 4gb ram, amd 64bit cpu. The
tuner card is a Nova-t 500 PCI with dual tuners.

I have 2x500gb partions for tv storage and 3x250gb in raid5 for
data/pictures/music and some raid1 for system.

Running Debian 4.0 on both dom0 and domU
Linux dom0 2.6.18-6-xen-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Jun 16 23:42:47 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

mediaserver2:~# mythbackend --version
Please include all output in bug reports.
MythTV Version   : Unknown
MythTV Branch    : tags/release-0-21
Library API      : 0.21.20080304-1

mediaserver2:~# uptime
 20:49:13 up 66 days, 22:44,  1 user,  load average: 0.04, 0.06, 0.00

rgds
Jeppe