[mythtv-users] Does Hauppaugh HVR 2250 work with Myth

Raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 02:41:58 UTC 2008

Paulin wrote:
> Mark,
>
> The 1250 does support MPEG Encoding (requires software encoding) which
> is why I didn't want to go with it.  Let me know how it goes with the
> 1800.  That seems like it supports what I'm looking for.  I"m not
> worried about analog as it goes away in 5 months and my cable provider
> already is sending digital signals.
>
> steve

My question would be, why are you so keen on getting something that has
hardware mpg encoding when you don't care about analog? Digital TV
signals already come pre-encoded as mpeg, so your card doesn't need to
do any hardware encoding.... It would need to do hardware encoding if
you wanted to encode your analog signals in hardware instead of software
though.
Another point about the digital signals: you may care about analog, as
the digital channels for your cable may be mostly encrypted.

Raphael