[mythtv-users] how to improve Myth (was "OT: I'm streaming Netflix on my Linux box")

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 04:50:39 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 5:32 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> On 10/09/2008 09:58 PM, Steve Hodge wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 2:47 PM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> >
> >> Um, this page:
> >> http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythInfo
> >>
> >> where you sign up for the list, points to the gossamer-threads archive
> >> quite clearly.
> > For anyone else having trouble (it took me a couple of minutes and the
> use
> > of Firefox's Page Info function), the links are the words "here".
>
> More specifically, the link is the word, "here," in the sentence, "Go
> here for a searchable mailing list archive."
>
> >  The fact
> > that they are almost the same colour as the normal text makes it
> difficult
> > to see them as links, at least on my laptop. For some reason the other
> links
> > on the page (in the same colour) aren't so hard to see.
>
> Yeah, unfortunately, you have to read the words--instead of just looking
> at the pretty colors--to get the information off the page.  ;)

Reading helps, of course. But if you don't notice the slightly different
colour of the "here" it's easy to assume that "here" refers to the link at
the start of the line - the link to the mailman list signup page. That page
has a link right near the top to the pipermail archive so I can see how
someone might follow that and then think the pipermail archive was all there
is. It's clearer for the user list (without the "go") though. Would it be
easy to put a link to the gossamer archive on the mailman signup page along
with the pipermail archive link?

And, no, I don't mind when people bring up the same ideas over and over,
> as long as they realize that an idea without code is just an idea.

Yes. I don't see the harm in people talking about features they would like
to see provided they don't harass the devs about them. I don't think the
"submit a patch" response adds anything to the discussion though. It tends
to put people on the defensive because it can appear as if it's discounting
the idea (i.e. people can take it as "the only way this is getting in is if
you do it yourself"). And it doesn't really encourage people to actually get
involved either as it can come across as "if you're not capable of making
the patch then you should shut up". It just seems a little hostile really.
What I'd like to see instead of just "submit a patch" is something like
"this sounds easy/hard/impossible, but you could start looking at
AClass/BPlugin/CLibrary code if you want to implement it".

Cheers,
Steve