[mythtv-users] Does Hauppaugh HVR 2250 work with Myth

Raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 23:27:35 UTC 2008

Paulin wrote:
> Raphael,
>
> Thanks for the information.   I'm still learning all of this stuff (well
> outside my knowledge range :)
>
> Anyway I pretty much have the most basic Comcast stuff so those channels
> will be fine for me.  It sounds like they are encrypting the extended
> basic packages (and up).  I pretty much only watch FOX, ABC, NBC, and CBS.
>
> I was just reading the Wikipedia page on DTV and I get the SDTV, EDTV,
> HDTV concepts a little bit better (clear as mud).  So if
> no conversion is need because it's in MPEG already then I will probably
> look at getting the pcHDTV card (http://www.pchdtv.com/) and a
> WINTV-HVR-1250.
>
> There isn't any issue with mixing cards right?  The reason I can't go
> with two 1250 because I only have 1 PCIe slot which is what the 1250
> appears to support.  Any other recommendations.
>
> And thanks for all the help.  It is greatly appreciated.
>
> Steve

Steve,
The PCHDTV cards seem to be pretty good according to the wiki. There is
a page that lists several different cards here:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Video_capture_card#ATSC_Cards_.28only_in_US.2FCanada_.29
It's not exhaustive though and sometimes the same category of
information can be spread around the wiki so you might find more.

Mixing cards is no problem. I have an HVR1250 and a pinnacle HD pro
stick (usb tuner) for digital tuners, for instance, along with a PVR-150
for analog in the same machine. As long as it works in linux and myth it
shouldn't be a problem to mix and match.
Good luck!
Raphael