[mythtv-users] NAS power supply

Owen Townend owen.townend at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 03:55:46 UTC 2008

2008/10/11 Tom Flair <tom at graniteskies.net>:
> On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 9:25 AM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm going to have to build an external HD enclosure.  What do people do
>> for power supplies?  Power itself shouldn't be a problem; assuming a
>> drive consumes 20W on spinup and 10W running then even 20 drives can be
>> handled by a (relatively) modest 450 W PS.  No mobo in the enclosure, so
>> no power for that.
>>
>> I've heard about people using resistors on a normal PS when it's used
>> without a mobo.  I can only assume that the PS requires a load of some
>> sort on the mobo connector to operate properly, but I'm not about to go
>> slapping random resistors on the connector... :-)
>>
>> I've not had any luck finding a HOWTO or anything on this.  Anyone have
>> any ideas?  Suggestions?
>
> What are you going to attach the drives to without the mobo?  (idle
> curiosity)

Between e-SATA, port multipliers and the multiport links you can now
attach a _lot_ of storage to a single system without stepping towards
the more enterprise solutions (and prices).
...though you have to have somewhere to put, and something to power
the disks, hence (presumably) the need for this thread :)

There's a good thread about storage systems on avsforum that seems to
be updated fairly regularly.
Their specs aren't DIY style enlosures, but it might help when playing
with the idea of more storage.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940972

cheers,
Owen.