[mythtv-users] Various MythTV-related adventures

Steve Heistand steve at heistand.org
Sun Oct 12 21:37:58 UTC 2008

}
} [2] If, as mentioned in another message, I ever spring for more
} storage, I've thought of getting some sort of external SATA
} enclosure(s) and connecting it with InfiniBand/eSATA cables to another
} controller--whether second RocketRAID 2240 or another--plugged into
} the second PCI-X slot in the server. Suggestions on pre-built
} enclosures (I can handle installing drives, but not much more) and
} controller cards? I'd want at least eight drives, preferably 16-20,
} and could use two enclosures.
}

I recently went pure external enclosures by getting 2:
http://www.pc-pitstop.com/sata_enclosures/scsata12t.asp

with 2 controllers of:
http://www.pc-pitstop.com/sas_controllers/arc1680ix12.asp

in a single machine. note that finding a MB that takes 2 x8
PCIe non graphics card is tough. Found a ASUS MB that had 3
slots 2 of which were for non graphics card.

so now I have 2 12 drive raid 6 filesystems which after formatting
(XFS) gives ~10T free in each one.

should you want to go that route its worked for me quite well.
performance on the setup is about 500M/sec read and writes.

your other questions I cant help you with.
though I would guess that changing the raid card to act like
jbods would have been fine.

--
"Why is it so hot inside this handbasket?"
steve at heistand.org