[mythtv-users] Which onboard video card is best? and other recommendation for a HTPC

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 11:05:24 UTC 2008

Hi

Looking at getting a new HTPC which can allow me to play bluray (under Windows).

Though it will mainly run MythTV obviously.

Looking at two different motherboard, both of them with integrated GPU.

One is using the nVidia 7100 (with nvidia 630i chipset): Gigabyte
GA-73UM-S2H (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2689)
The other using all Intel with the X4500HD (G45 chipset); Gigabyte
GA-EG45M-DS2H (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2877)

Other than video, the Intel chipset does seem to provide better
performace thanks to the dual-channel memory support.

I've had pretty bad experience with an earlier GMA950, so I'm a bit
biased against Intel but I guess the X4500 has gone a long way.

I'm very familiar with nVidia drivers and never ran into problem with
them, the 7100 is rather low spec however.

Which one would you recommend with MythTV: The nvidia or the Intel ?
I do intend to use this PC to watch H264 1080p video so will look at
using an Intel E8400 processor (3GHz)

The case I'm looking at getting is the Antec Fusion Remote, any
experience with MythTV with this case? in particular the remote
control support

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Jean-Yves