[mythtv-users] Mythtv Record options

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Oct 14 16:35:26 UTC 2008

On Oct 14, 2008, at 9:19 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:

> Nick Morrott wrote:
>>
>> I maintain the Radio Times XMLTV grabber, and have introduced
>> functionality to look for inconsistent titles and subtitles and
>> reformat them before the listings data is output. This works well and
>> will increase the accuracy of the scheduler in MythTV, but is still
>> far from perfect. However, without access to the raw listings, we are
>> at the mercy of a data provider upstream to consistently reuse the
>> same programme information whenever a particular episode is
>> broadcast.
>>
>> In my experience, the RT data has been very consistent over the
>> past 4
>> years, which allows for recording rules to match new and old showings
>> of programmes across channels with a high degree of accuracy.
>>
> Bah. I have been trying to set up a rule for Jools Holland, only the
> first two
> of the series are:
>
> "Later...with Jools Holland"
> "Later... with Jools Holland"
>
> - spot the extra space. Do you think I could figure out a way to set
> up a
> schedule which covers both of these? Nope. A custom search does find
> them both,
> but turned into a custom schedule finds nothing consistently. It
> seeme there are
> subtle differences between search terms and schedule terms, beyond
> the abilities
> of my sql-fu.
>
> I ended up with two rules. Would someone care to (1) administer a
> clue-bat to
> the Radio Times (which seems to have gotten worse lately) and (2)
> enlighten me
> how I can ensure I can trap similar variations in the future?

Make a custom rule using REGEXP and the ? modifier which says the
preceding character may or may not appear.

WHERE program.title REGEXP 'Later\.\.\. ?with Jools Holland'

You can do the same thing with entire words like this:
mysql> SELECT program.title FROM program WHERE program.title REGEXP
'The Tom Joyner (Sky )?Show' GROUP BY title;
| title                   |
| The Tom Joyner Show     |
| The Tom Joyner Sky Show |

or no regex like this:
WHERE program.title LIKE '%Jools Holland'

-Brad