[mythtv-users] Migrating MythTV backend

Stackpole, Chris CStackpole at barbnet.com
Wed Oct 15 03:48:48 UTC 2008

Hello,
I have an older system that has been running really well as a MythTV backend for over a year now. However, it is time to upgrade the box to a more powerful system with lots more hard drive space (esp since the wife is now interested in recording her shows too! :-). I have been doing some research on my migration and I think I have a good idea of what to do, but I would really like some input to see if anyone can warn me about some "gotcha!"s.

The current system is a 1.8Ghz P4 with 2GB of ram and a 300GB drive (install and recording). I have almost 2 years of recording history on it. It is currently running Mythbuntu (gutsy).

The new system is a AMD 4200 X2 64bit with 4GB of memory and a new 60 GB SATA drive for the install with a 750GB hard drive for the recordings. I will be installing Debian Lenny on it.

The only physical part of the system that I will be moving from the old system to the new is the tuner card (Hauppauge 500). I figure if I completely screw up the install on the new system then all I have to do to 'reset' is to put the card back into the old system.

I am planning to follow this guide in installing and configuring MythTV: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Talk:Installing_MythTV_on_Debian_Etch
I know that the guide is for Etch, but I figure it can't have changed that much for Lenny (a gotcha? :-/ ). Also with Lenny going stable sometime soon, I figured it would be best to start off on Lenny then to start on Etch and do an update later.

I found this guide for migrating the data from one to the other: http://www.mythpvr.com/mythtv/tips/migrate-recordings.html
Not sure if that is still current, but I am hoping so.

Also, I have not found an answer to this yet. Mythbuntu put the recording folder in /var/lib/mythtv. That's fine I guess, but I prefer to have my drives listed in /media and was considering having the 750GB drive listed as /media/mythtv. It doesn't really matter, just preference but I don't know if that is going to mess up MySQL when I transfer the database. I don't want it to think it is still in /var when the drive is in /media.

I hope to do the migration this weekend (waiting on the hard drive from newegg) so I am trying to read up on as much as I can before hand. Lots of reading on the wiki ( http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ ) and google for me to do.  I really appreciate any feedback people may have.

Thanks!
~Stack~