[mythtv-users] Upgrade risk assessment

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Wed Oct 15 18:32:25 UTC 2008

  What
>about cloning the system volume to another drive and running your
>patches there?  Then you have a fall-back plan?
>   Todd

That's exactly what I do. I've actually installed myth to two partitions,
and keep one hidden. Then with a few scripts, I'm able to backup partition 1
to partition 2 so that if anything goes wrong, I can always revert to my old
setup. Be careful with ubuntu upgrades and updates. I've run into problems
in the past, especially with audio, but sometimes with playback problems
after an upgrade or update.

If you like, I can direct you on what I did to do my backups, and even send
you scripts. The way I have it setup is that I run a script, it first does a
myth database backup just incase something goes wrong. Then it overwrites my
grub file with a preconfigured alternate grub file that boots into my backup
partition. The computer then reboots and then copies my main partition to a
zipped file (using partimage) on my recordings drive. Then it boots back
into the main partition (by overwriting with my main grub files) and takes
the zip file that was just created and overwrites the second partition. Then
the script copies a pre-setup fstab and a few other files over to the second
partitionso that I could run the backup partition nicely without any issues.
My myth db is located on the primary partition, so that gets backed up when
this is done.

I've done this several times and have never had a problem since I started
doing this.

-Steve