[mythtv-users] What hardware do I need to be able to dual record using Comcast cable?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Oct 16 13:44:04 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 09:54:13PM -0400, Josh wrote:
> If you're recording all digital, then you will most likely not be re-

    That depends.

    If you are recording MPEG2 then there is likely plenty of wiggle room
to be had by transcoding. HD transcodes can take a long time but they can
be well worth it. This is especially true for HD channels broadcasting SD
at a rediculously high bitrate (and mediocre quality).

    Since you have to lock the HD-PVR to one resolution in order to prevent
it from crashing, I am tempted to transcode even with it. It would be nice
to compress the stuff that isn't really HD.