[mythtv-users] What hardware do I need to be able to dual record using Comcast cable?

David Madsen david.madsen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 21:08:50 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

>From another perspective, given your file size of 5GB/hr (which I will
>be nice enough to assume actually means 5GiB/hr):

Though technically correct, this was indicated as being an approximate
value in the first place. I hardly see what relevance differentiating
5GB/hr from 5GiB/hr has in this context.

> Just how much TV do you need to keep?  (And, if you live where I'm
> guessing you live, you may want to check the "local" copyright law to
> determine whether archiving recordings is a violation, as time
> /shifting/ is allowed under fair use, but...)
>
> Again, I stand by the claim that those who record/transcode/delete are
> costing themselves money.  As I delete my recordings, I don't transcode.

I think that is the difference.  If you take the archiving out of the
pictures transcoding doesn't make near as much sense.  I personally
don't transcode either other than a few recordings here and there.  So
I guess things fall into three different categories: people have
enough capacity for their time-shifting needs, people without enough
capacity for their time-shifting needs without transcoding, and
archiving.