[mythtv-users] Getting this working should NOT be this hard!

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 17 11:02:02 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 10/16/2008 11:34 PM, Harry Devine wrote:
>
>> Steve Heistand wrote:
>>

>>> } I don't see anything called interlacer. Is it the Playbback Profiles
>>> } screen (screen 3)?  If so, I have mine set to Slim.
>>>
>>> edit the entries under slim page 2 and change to suit.
>>>
>> Which page 2?  I see the profile as Slim, then a whole bunch of "if rez
>>  >= 1280 720 -> ffmpeg & XVideo" type of stuff.  One of those?  Also,
>> I've set the profile to every single one of those listed, and I get the
>> same audio and video issues that I mentioned above.  Changing it has
>> zero effect.
>>

> He's saying to go into the page on which you've selected Slim as your
> Playback Profile /Group/ and then choosing a Playback Profile to edit.
> The "if rez >= 1280 720 -> ffmpeg & XVideo" is the criteria for the
> application of a Playback Profile from the selected Playback Profile
> Group.  You edit the rule by hitting the Edit button next to the criteria.
>
> That being said, you probably shouldn't ever edit the example playback
> profile groups because after you do so, you'll say, "I'm using the Slim
> profile group," and will--for all intents and purposes--be lying.
> Instead, /if/ you decide to edit playback profiles, create a new group
> and add profiles to it.  See
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Playback_profiles .
>
> That being said, the default configuration of Slim is probably the best
> choice of playback profile group for everyone to use--at least until
> they get everything working properly.  It's the one that's most likely
> to work correctly and it doesn't limit functionality (as the
> hardware-assisted rendering in some of the other playback profile groups
> does).  The deinterlacers specified for (the default configuration of)
> Slim are some of the least processor intensive, so changing them will
> likely make things worse.
>
> Instead, I'd recommend checking--very carefully--to ensure you've
> properly installed and configured your video card drivers.
>
> Mike

On my old system, I was running Fedora 8 x64 and had an nVidia card.  I
had to replace the MB and processor (long story), so the board that I
have now (an ASUS M2A-VM board
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131174) has an
on-board ATI Radeon XPress 1250 chipset.  With that being said, I was
getting the exact same behaviour with my previous setup in regards to
the analog and DVB presentation.

If this same thing is happening on 2 different sets of hardware, and 2
different distros, doesn't that point to some sort of kernel issue?  I
seem to recall reading somewhere about the newer kernels having better
DVB support.  How would I get this in MythBuntu (I've always been a
RedHat/Fedora guy so Ubuntu is pretty new to me).

Thanks,
Harry