[mythtv-users] Backend recording liveTV I don't watch

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Oct 17 15:40:47 UTC 2008

On 10/17/2008 11:24 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> And to the poster above who suggests you don't lose anything of value, yes, you
> can, it happened in the incident above. In order to accommodate x hours of
> LiveTV stuff *will* be expired to make room if there isn't enough.

Right, but the "x" in "x hours," above, is limited to the maximum length
of any one show on the channel that's being recording (with an 8hr cap,
IIRC) times the number of capture cards stuck in LiveTV mode.  That
means that if LiveTV is recording a channel continuously and the longest
show it records is 3hrs, Myth should only ever need to expire shows to
make room for the 3hr show and, as soon as each show finishes recording,
Myth will be able to expire the just-recorded LiveTV show since LiveTV
always expires before recordings.  (True, there is some extra space
required because of when the autoexpirer is actually run (every 15
minutes, IIRC), but worst case, Myth will need enough space for 2
back-to-back shows.)

Mike