[mythtv-users] 2 Channel Audio Not Working-- Help

Seth Daniel mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org
Fri Oct 17 19:28:41 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 03:04:01PM -0400, Jason McKnight wrote:
> I have a machine running Mythbuntu 8.04 with audio being piped out via the optical (iec958 I think). I recently lost audio on any stereo sound. I'm not sure if it was an update or something I changed in a config. Anything with 5.1 is great, but music and movies encoded in stereo only play with no sound.
>
> I have tried all sorts of settings in alsamixer and in the general setup inside Myth, but the only thing I can accomplish is getting 5.1 sound to stop.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions?

I had the same issue when I upgraded my myth box to Ubuntu 8.04 (it
worked fine before then).  I tried all sorts of things.  The only thing
that got it to work again was this .asoundrc:

  pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave {
      pcm "spdif"
      rate 48000
      format S16_LE
    }
  }

I found it by searching the gossamer-threads archive of the mythtv-users
mailing list.  Oddly it was this thread:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/175424#175424

where I found it.  The OP was having the *opposite* problem (2 channel audio
was fine, but he couldn't play 5.1).

Alsa is a black box to me.  I have no idea what the above does.  I also don't
know why it was working without this .asoundrc and then stopped working when I
upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04.

I hope the above helps.

--
seth /\ sethdaniel.org