[mythtv-users] OT: Samba help

Steve Heistand steve at heistand.org
Sat Oct 18 14:35:43 UTC 2008

David Watkins <watkinshome at gmail.com>, said on Sat Oct 18, 2008 [03:17:42 PM]:
} 2008/10/18 belcampo <belcampo at zonnet.nl>:
} > Damian wrote:
} >> Hello all,
} >>
} >> Sorry for the off topic post, but the answers I get to Linux questions
} >> here are always so much better than anywhere else.
} >>
} >> I've been having Samba problems for a while but I now really need to get
} >> it sorted. I want my MythBox to be the network server for the house as
} >> the machine is always on. I have one Ubuntu laptop, on XP machine and
} >> one dual buut Ubuntu/XP laptop that I want to connect to it.
} >>
} >> I've followed all of the tutorials that I can find on the net and they
} >> always sound so easy but I always come unstuck!
} >>
} >> I'm now in a position where I finally seem to be able to see all of the
} >> shared directories from the different machines, but I assume I just
} >> don't have the appropriate permissions to access them.
} >>
} >> Can anyone help me on this or point me to the right place.
} >>
} >> I somehow had this working for just my XP box, but folowing two other
} >> tutorials seems to have broken that now so I really need to get things
} >> working.
} > I'm in no way an samba expert, but what I can think of youi probably
} > missed is the following:
} > user accounts from all machines need to be known on the backend.
} > As root on your mythbackend smbpasswd -a ubuntulaptop etc
} > restart samba
}
} It also helps if your users and groups have the same ids across all machines.
}
} That's the user Ids and Group IDs that are specified in /etc/passwd
} and /etc/groups (or at least that's where they are in Fedora)
} mythtv-users mailing list
} mythtv-users at mythtv.org