[mythtv-users] Why does myth protocol perform worse than UPnP or SMB shares?

Johnny Russ jruss at mit.edu
Sat Oct 18 17:21:03 UTC 2008

I have an SD frontend that is connected in just the next room over, and it
works most of the time, but I wouldn't say it was completely reliable. I
have been playing around with MythTV Player, XBMC, and win32 Mythfrontend. I
have found that all of them struggle to stream (lots of pauses, rebuffering)
a single SD recording when streaming from the backend using the myth
protocol. However, I can playback a show with zero problems when I use SMB
or the UPnP server. What is wrong with the myth protocol or with the clients
that causes it to be so much less efficient? After all of my trouble I get
the cleanest picture and most reliable playback using UPnP with Windows
Media Player. That just seems wrong to me.