[mythtv-users] Two odd issues with NBC DTV recordings

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 19:18:16 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 7:59 AM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 7:25 PM, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> A couple of other points for those mulling over the issue:
>>>
>>> * Tom is in NYC, and I am in San Francisco. These are two of the metro
>>>  areas that recently gained a new SD multiplexed OTA channel,
>>>  Universal Sports. As a result, my NBC affiliate decreased its
>>>  bitrate for HD broadcasts so that formerly ~7.5GB/hour recordings
>>>  are now ~5.5GB/hour.
>>
>> Until reading this I hadn't noticed that but yes...by newer NBC
>> recordings are about 5.5GB/hour.
>>

>>> * Also, NBC recordings that came in as ~51 minutes per hour
>>>  (<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/227272#227272>)
>>>  in the OSD over the past two years now again appear as an hour. I
>>>  suspect, but can't be sure, that the change occurred along with the
>>>  bitrate change. (The ~51-minute issue only affected prime-time
>>>  shows, not the videotaped late-night talk shows.)
>>>

>> That's not what I'm seeing here.  Even with the bitrate change I still
>> get one hour shows displaying as 52-53 minutes in the OSD as I was
>> before.  I don't remember for sure, but I'm not certain this is true
>> of all NBC shows.  It is for comedies and dramas.  Those are the ones
>> where they tend to mix different frame rates for commercials etc.
>> They may not do that on stuff like SNL for example...I have no other
>> saved recordings right now to check.
>>
> <snip>
>>
>> Tom
>>

> Just a note for anyone interested.  I recorded SNL this weekend, and
> unlike the NBC dramas or comedies which display about 51-53
> minutes/hour in the OSD, SNL displays with the correct length (just
> under 1:30).  I'm guessing that for SNL/sports etc they're not mixing
> frame rates.
>
> Tom

I'm curious as to whether others have noticed this:  Thursday night I
recorded "Eleventh Hour" on CBS and it appears they've started doing
some of the same oddball stuff that NBC does.  The show is just under
an hour and displays as 53 minutes.  The other similarity I see to NBC
shows is that, at least with bob x2, after commercials I occasionally
get a momentary speed up of video...no doubt due to frame date
changes.  Other CBS shows, at least so far, such as the "Ex List" from
last night don't appear to show these signs.

Tom