[mythtv-users] No luck getting Mythtv to work - Configuration woos

daryl sofasurferlinux at charter.net
Sun Oct 19 18:57:36 UTC 2008

greg wrote:
> daryl wrote:

>>> Well one option is that you've created "tv storage" in a directory
>>> that doesn't exist (typo?) or that the backend doesn't have access to
>>> (file permissions for the mythbackend user)
>>>

>> Thanks to all for responding.
>>
>> I open backend setup, close backend and then go to "main menu" and
>> "storage directories". "Default" takes me to "add storage directories"
>> page. I type in /home/mythtv/storage (home/mythtv does exist). I click
>> "ok" which takes me back to "add storage directories page". There is no
>> way to exit this page (there is no "next" or "finish" button at the
>> bottom of the page) except to use "esc" button which takes me back to
>> the beginning of "backend setup".
>>

> Make a folder some where on your drive..I use var/mythrecordings.
> Then change the permissions ,so your user can access it..Then go into
> the backend set up and enter this path where it says storage
> group...Yes,you use esc to back out..

I have now created the directory at /home/mythtv/mythrecordings. I had
previously thought that when I entered the directory name that mythtv
would create it. But actually what it whats is for me to create the
directory and that mythtv asks for the name of the directory for it to use.
>  I would guess you are very new to Linux....

No. Been using it for 2 years. Not new to Linux. New to Mythtv just like
hundreds of others who ask for help.

> Mythttv is great, but it has
> a very large learning curve and requires a lot of reading and
> research...

Yes. Very large curve. Lots of reading. The biggest problem is that much
of the available information is written as if it is assumed that most
people start out with a basic understanding of the terminology and
processes.
>  There are people who will help you ,but you won't get much
> hand holding...
Didn't ask for hand holding. Just trying to get this thing started like
the people who wrote thousands of other requests for help. Is there a
list of permissable questions and non-permissable (hand-holding)
questions? :-)