[mythtv-users] Getting this working should NOT be this hard!

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Mon Oct 20 11:53:32 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 09:11 -0400, Harry Devine wrote:
> Marc Randolph wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 11:36 PM, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I added the information listed on that link that you sent me to
> >> /etc/apt/sources.list but when I run "apt-get install v4l-dvb-dkms", I
> >> get "E: Couldn't find package v4l-dvb-dkms".  What now?
> >>

> > Is there perhaps an entry in your sources.list which is referencing
> > some other drive (typically your original install source)?  Maybe with
> > an E:?
> >
> >    Marc
> >

> Well, I added this line to it, according to
> https://launchpad.net/~pitti/+archive/+index
> deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/pitti/ubuntu intrepid main
>
> Did I enter it incorrectly?   Did I  miss something?
>
> Thanks
> Harry

Harry,

  This is what I have for my system:

james at mythfront:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/dvb-ppa.list
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pitti/ubuntu hardy main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/pitti/ubuntu hardy main
james at mythfront:~$

I added a new file under the /etc/apt/sources.list.d directory named
dvb-ppa.list. That file has two lines in it. After saving the file you
must run 'sudo apt-get update' for the package management system to know
about the new packages. Then you can try to install the new dvb drivers.

My system is Ubuntu 8.04 and that is known as "Hardy". You were trying
to add packages for the currently beta release Ubuntu 8.10 known as
"Intrepid Ibex" or simply "Intrepid".

To sum up the three (hopefully simple) steps that you need are:

1) Add the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/dvb-ppa.list file with the contents
from above.

2) Run 'sudo apt-get update'

3) Run 'sudo apt-get install v4l-dvb-dkms'

Cheers,
James