[mythtv-users] Getting this working should NOT be this hard!

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 20 22:45:12 UTC 2008

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> OK, that makes sense.  But before I do that, I figured I'd try and see
>> if the new drivers worked.  So I fired up LiveTV and tried to see what I
>> could see.  The Analog channel of my local ABC affiliate was the same as
>> it was before.  Very slow, choppy, and with no sound at all.  The DVB
>> channel for the same affiliate just shows the OSD menu all the time, a
>> still frame of whatever was on the channel when it got tuned, and the
>> sound sounds like a baseball card stuck in a bicycle tire.
>>
>> Here's what my frontend log shows, but I'm not sure what its telling me
>> (seems like a few things wrong):
>>

> <SNIP>
>

>> ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL /dev/mixer
>>
> <SNIP>
>
>> Any ideas on what's going on here?  Are the new drivers that I installed
>> earlier in the thread not really being used?
>> Thanks,
>> Harry
>>

> Often (but certainly not always!) these sorts of errors come after an
> Alsa update. They have to do with Alsa drivers enumerating things
> differently from rev to rev. Erase the /etc/asound.state file and run
> alsamixer from a terminal. Set things up again and exit alsamixer.
>
> It probably won't help with your main problem but if it's a problem on
> the system it's an easy, low risk fix.
>
> HTH,
> Mark

Nope, no /etc/asound.state file exists.  If I go to a Terminal window, I
can play an MP3 file with mplayer just fine.  I have a /dev/mixer and
/dev/mixer1 device node.  My audio settings in the frontend setup is:

Audio output device: ALSA:default
Passthrough output device:   Default
Max Audio Channels:   Stereo   Upmix:   Passive
x Enable AC3 to SPDIF passthrough   (x)Aggressive Sound (unchecked)
x Enable DTS to SPDIF passthrough   x Use internal volume control
Mixer Device:   /dev/mixer   Mixer controls:   PCM
Master Mixer Volume: 100
PCM Mixer Volume: 100
(x)Independent Muting of Left and Right Audio channels (unchecked).

Does anything in there have to change?  Should I change the Audio output
device to /dev/dsp, for example?

Thanks,
Harry