[mythtv-users] SPDIF Audio with HD-PVR

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 12:33:31 UTC 2008

So, this is not specifically a mythtv question, but I'm hoping someone
here can help.  I have a Hauppauge HD-PVR which I have not integrated
with myth yet.  I prefer to stay on the stable myth path, so I'm
waiting until HD-PVR support is part of the mainstream packages.
However, in the meantime I have do some playing around with recording
from the command line under Linux using the instructions on the wiki
page.  Over the weekend I upgraded to the latest firmware in order to
get SPDIF audio.  After the upgrade I disconnected the RCA audio
connections on the HD-PVR; took the SPDIF cable I had running into my
AV receiver from the HD STB and put it into the OPT-IN connection on
the HD-PVR; and then ran another SPDIF cable from the OPT-OUT to my AV
receiver.  Now, however, I'm not getting any audio with my recordings,
nor am I getting any sound from my speakers when playing through the
HD-PVR.  The firmware upgrade seemed to go OK, and I do see a red
light coming through the SPDIF cables.  I'm not sure what to check at
this point.  Are there any settings that need to be changed to make
the SPDIF port truly active?

Any help would be appreciated.
TIA,
John