[mythtv-users] New to Myth - Capture Card Question

Todd Davis toddhd at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 18:18:00 UTC 2008

Hi -

I am VERY new to Myth and PVR in general. I have a DVR at home that Comcast
supplies, but I'm not really happy with it, and want something a little more
functional.

I've been reading, reading, reading about Myth TV in order to prepare for
what hardware to order. The most confusing issue for me however is the
question of Tuner Cards. I really like the cards that have the hardware
based encoding, and the PVR-350 seems to be mentioned over and over again. I
also like that the PVR-350 has two input tuners. But I have two problems
with this:

1) It's no longer in production. I can find them just fine on EBay, but it
doesn't bode well for support.
2) It doesn't support OpenGL, and the Myth-TV page says the newer builds of
MythTV will be using OpenGL for the menus, as well as stuff like MythGames.

I am assuming that there is a newer, shinier card which would be a good
replacement for the PVR-350, but looking at myriad of tuners on say
NewEgg.com, I have no idea which ones work with Linux/MythTV, and which have
caveats that I, as a newb, would be unaware of.

Any suggestions?

--
-Todd Davis
www.SeaburyDesign.com