[mythtv-users] Hauppauge 1128 WinTV-HVR-1800

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 21:25:45 UTC 2008

On 21/10/2008, David Watkins <watkinshome at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > i have a satellite receiver (but is not hdtv) so I wonder will i be able to connect this to my digital box via svideo cable?
> >  > can't find that info anywhere, they talk about the signal, but no sure about the inputs
> >

> > Well this link
> >
> >  http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_hvr1800.html
> >
> >  states S-Video and audio inputs so, Yes, you should be fine as far as
> >  an S-video input from your digibox goes.
> >

> thanks for replying

> that page doesnt say anything useful for linux, so the question is will this card work with
> the signal coming from the svideo input on linux with myhtv taking into account my sat
> box is not hdtv

> i'm not an expert on signal or linux tv as you can see, so i may be confused about the
> atsc/ntsc support on that input, not sure whats the signal output coming from the box

I'm afraid I don't know anything about atsc/ntsc (I'm in Europe using
PAL) but I do know that S-Video does *not* support HD, so If that card
supports S-Video it will not expect the input to be HD. (HD is a
pretty vague concept anyway, unless you're talking about a particular
digital programme type 720p, 1080i etc ...  )  I can't guarantee that
card will work but, since it sounds as if you've already ordered it
you may as well wait to see if you can get it to work.

This link implies that the card does have linux support.

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge