[mythtv-users] Hardware questions

Bobby Gill bobbygill at rogers.com
Wed Oct 22 02:24:02 UTC 2008

> The main thing is no monthly fees, and the best HD anywhere. Since you
> are in GTA I can answer with more details. To get the Canadian channels
> you point your antenna at the CN Tower. If you are lucky (like me)
> Buffalo is in the same direction and you will get the US networks. If
> they are in different directions then you may need two antennas. If you
> are in an apartment building facing north then you are out of luck. The
> location and height of the antenna will depend where you are located.
> You can use:
>  http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29
> to see what stations you should be able to receive from your location.
>
> As far as what channels are available, go here for the list:
>
> http://www.remotecentral.com/hdtv/
>
> Also you can read this FAQ for general info about OTA HDTV:
>
> http://www.remotecentral.com/hdtv/faq.htm

Thanks, I was just reading those remotecentral links. Well, we are moving in
about a month, and the new house facest the CN tower (faces east, we are in
Brampton). Is that what you mean?

Okay I checked that tvfool link, and I was only able to input Brampton and
my street address (state/zip obviously no good for me) and I did so for my:
Current house: http://img505.imageshack.us/my.php?image=antennamt5.png
House we're moving to:
http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=antennanewhousehf5.png

Colin,

I saw that page on the 1600. Seems okay for me as it's only going to be a
tuner card in my use, and the bonus was it's the only one of the HVRs that's
in PCI form factor, saving me a huge upgrade otherwise.

Also wanted to ask about this:
http://www.gosatellite.ca/viewsat-ultra-lite-p/viewsat-ultra-lite.htm  My
parents have this with a satellite that a friend installed late last year
(they just use it to watch their terrible Indian soap operas lol). How would
that work with Myth and this HD business (if at all) ??

Thanks very much
Bob