[mythtv-users] DVB-S performance

Per Jørgensen myth at pbj-design.dk
Thu Oct 23 09:55:43 UTC 2008

Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com wrote:

> -----Per Jørgensen wrote: -----
>
> >John van Timmeren wrote:
> >> Changing your dvb-s card seems a bit early. Don't now about the
> >4000
> >> series but usually hauppauge card do a fine job. My though would be
> >> something about your settings as Nick already poined out..
> >>
> >Well - the though was here - if it was to cheap a buy ?? about
> >911dkr.
> >Normally Hauppauge make good capturecards and properly most Mythtv
> >Users
> >have tried a Hauppauge.
> >But though the picture would be better - since this card should be
> >able
> >to handle HD, but are not supported yet in the drivers.
> >> Did you changed your mpeg quallity settings to max already?
> >>
> >No - I have tried to play a little bit with it - but didn't see any
> >changes
> >> If you connect your mythbox to the same cable as your dreambox is
> >the
> >> image still less?
> >>
> >The Dreambox uses SCART - But I have my server in the garage - and
> >using
> >LAN to the livingroom.
> >> How is the image if your playing a dvd or something outside MythTV
> >> (this to check how your system quallity is)
> >>
> >Images of DVD's playing is really great - allso the sound from them.
> >So playing such media top nice.
> >So my guess is the settings for the mpeg quality.
> >But after changing the settings, I could not see any differences,
> >especially sport (fotball) looks horrible.
> >Not a sharp picture at all. So back and play some more :-)
> >
> >Thanks
>
> I really think you need to give some more details about your setup.
> 1. Does the HVR-4000 get the same signal as the dreambox? Same
> antenna/LNB or separate cable from twin/quad LNB?
I got 2 QuAD LNB's - connected using a DISCeQ on each cable to each
input on it's own Cable.
> 2. What kind of display/TV do you use? Analog/digital?
I have 32"" LCD with VGA input(1024x768).
> 3. What kind of connection do you use between the frontend and the
> display/TV?
VGA Cable.

Yesterday when there was Championsleauge -  the players looks very very
unsharp and was very hard to read the numbers on the players, but the
commercial was way better looking. TO start with - it's not lagging or
anything - just very unsharp contra using my Dreambox.

None of the TV-recordings or anything are lacking, and a DVD played both
from DVD-drive or from BE - looks very nice without complaining. SO My
guess is - that its nothing wrong with the networking part.

At the HVR-4000 I cannot get the subtitles from the moviechannels to
run, but on those channels where they ar esent along with the signal -
they're OK  - but on those where I should be able to chose the
subtitles, There's no options for chosin subtitles.

And My frontends have onboard Soundcards ( Running COAX til my Surround
reciever - But can only get output when choosing 2CH instead of AC3
which I thinks its strange - but need to play arounds a little bit more.
Did try to play with the MPEG settings - but didn't think/see it as much
different - Seen from my eyes, when playing the football match!

But after work - I'll give yet another shot again!

> When I bought my first DVB-S card (Twinhan VP 1030) some years ago my
> primary goal was to get a digital signal all the way from the LNB to
> my digital 50" TV in order to get better video quality.
>
> I first tried various software on Windows, and the quality of the
> video was very good but I could not get AC3 sound to work reliably and
> the applications crashed very often. In addition to this channel
> changes were slow and unreliable.
>
> After switching to Linux I first used Kaffeine for DVB-S because it
> was easy to set up, had excellent video and sound quality, including
> AC3. But it is a desktop application.
>
> I later managed to get MythTV installed. And although Kaffeine at that
> time gave slightly better video quality I started using MythTv daily
> because it is better suited to be used on a large TV than Kaffeine is,
> and has much better recording capabilities.
>
> I now have two HVR-4000 in my MythTv production combined FE/BE and
> this is connected to my new 46" full HD LCD TV with a DVI to HDMI
> adapter and the video quality is miles better than what my STB
> connected with SCART can deliver.
>
> And you are wrong when saying that HD (I guess you meen DVB-S2?) is
> not supported in the drivers. These do:
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~stoth/s2-mfe/ but not much support for this in
> the applications yet, unless you patch and build them yourself.
OK - That was not the meaning to misguide people.
Sorry