[mythtv-users] Is anyone using mythtv as a server for the new Internet capable TVs ?

Eric Smith erictsmith at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 23:06:35 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 6:37 PM, Boleslaw Ciesielski
<bolek-mythtv at curl.com>wrote:

> Linuxguy123 wrote:
> > I'm in the market to buy a new TV.  I'm contemplating setting up a myth
> > TV server/system.
> >
> > Several of the TVs I am looking at appear to support some sort of
> > Internet capability.  Ie the Samsung 52LN650.
> >
> http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-ln52a650/4505-6482_7-32887597.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody
> >
> > I am wondering if such a TV could connected directly to a mythTV backend
> > (server), without the need for a local front end PC.  Has anyone tried
> > this ?
>
> myth-0.21-fixes upnp server works out of the box with Pioneer PRO-111FD
> TV (which claims to be "DLNA certified").
>
> The playback is very smooth and there is no deinterlacing issues etc.
> (TV handles everything by itself). But a lot of the functionality is
> lost (not even fast-forward, at least with HD MPEG2s).
>
> Bolek

I bought a 47ln750 about a month ago.  (Fantastic TV).  I'd been meaning to
test out the DLNA feature since I got it, but never got around to it.  You
reminded me to do so.  I was pretty amazed that with zero configuration it
pulled up a list of all of my recorded tv from the backend.  However, each
and every file fails with something along the lines of "unknown format".  My
content is all mpeg2, which should be supported, so I'm not sure where the
disconnect is.  I'll poke a little longer and see what I find.