[mythtv-users] [mythtv] CC benchmarks and procedure list ? Was: how would one speed up the channel changing in mythtv ?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Oct 24 06:39:03 UTC 2008

On 10/23/2008 01:10 PM, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 13:40 -0500, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 11:32 AM, Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>         I'm running a Sonicview Elite 360 FTA receiver.  2 tuners,
>>         full PVR,
>>         with time shift, great EPG, PIP, super fast change times, etc.
>>         Its a
>>         channel surfer's delight.
>>
>> Not really to the point he was making.  Regardless of the content,
>> tuning speed, or features, the advent of PVR and on-screen guides have
>> made the habit of channel surfing a relic of the past.
>>
>> Guide: Why surf when you can browse what's on via the guide and choose
>> what you want to watch changing channels once?
>> PVR: Why browse when you can record anything you want to watch and let
>> priorities and auto-expiration manage the data?
>>

> Live content and short attention spans !   Last night we watched the
> election commentary on CNN, Fox, MSNBC and CSpan all at once.  It was
> great.  We did PVR some of it as well.
>
> Its not like the EPG on those shows tells you who the guests will be and
> when they will appear.
>
> Channel surfing and live TV still have their place.

Hmmm.  I thought FTA meant Free To Air (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-to-air#North_America --as in not CNN,
Fox News, MSNBC, and who knows whether CSpan would be FTA).

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Mailing_List_etiquette#Anything_else_I_should_be_aware_of.3F
(See #5)

Yes, I'm assuming you're in North America, but then again, you said you
were watching election coverage, so it's a reasonable assumption.

Mike