[mythtv-users] Plugging a non-TV source to a capture card line input?

Krzysztof Adamski k at adamski.org
Fri Oct 24 13:33:04 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-24-10 at 02:11 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> >> Sure, I could totally bypass mythtv and do what you say, but I was kind of
> >> hoping to be able to see the video mostly live and be able to hit record
> >> around the right time (yes, I know about the liveTV delay, which is why I
> >> say "about").
> > you can definitely setup the tuner in myth and do a custom record but
> > if you go the cat /dev/video route you can always view the mpg in real
> > time using mplayer which is easier.  there are a lot of ways to do
> > this and using myth is always an option but you incur the "penalty" of
> > the scheduler so doing it manually is easier IMHO.
>
> Jake and Brad are right.  Using MythTV to digitize old tapes is like
> using a Ferrari to haul lumber (or like using a long-bed pickup in a
> street race--point being it's the wrong tool for the job).  Here's why:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/232857#232857

Also (I may be wrong) if you hit record, it saves not from the point you
hit record but from the point you started to watch.

I think the main advantage of using myth for this is to be able to use
the video editor to generate the cut list.

On this note is there a Linux video editor that is as easy to use as the
one in myth?