[mythtv-users] Why RAID 5 stops working in 2009

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Fri Oct 24 15:58:58 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 9:37 AM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:

> My one big problem with ZFS and myth is that there is no mechanism to grow
> a ZFS file system.  From a myth user's perspective, this is a bad thing as
> I depend on growing the array as need and money dictate.
>
> IIRC that's being worked on but it will be a long time coming if ever.
>
> But for that one feature, I'd be happily using ZFS.

As I understand it, you can grow the storage available, just not add one
disk at a time to the existing raidz. That is a bit of an issue, I agree.
There are workarounds though. You can upgrade a single drive at a time and
it will find and use the new space. You can also add another raidz to the
pool and it will let you use that new storage with the existing filesystems
in the pool. I plan to run some tests before I put a new server online to
see how well that works in practice.

Being able to add 1 or 2 drives to an existing array is a nice feature, but
it doesn't help me if a drive or controller decides to go nuts and write bad
data. For myth users, it's not that big of an issue perhaps, because the
streams we work with are somewhat more error tollerant than some other file
types. But I use my array for other things as well. As with everything,
there are tradeoffs to consider. :)