[mythtv-users] HDTV captions missing

kanetse@gmail.com kane.tse at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 17:04:22 UTC 2008

I have a CentOS 5.2 (64-bit) install of MythTV-0.21 from atrpms which
is doing firewire capture from a Motorola 6416.  When I play HD
content (live or recorded) through the Motorola box, I get captions.
However, when I record through MythTV, I no longer get captions.  SD
captions recorded from analog cable on a PVR-500 or PVR-150 seem to
work fine.

When I first hooked up my Motorola to my MythTV box (on a older
hardware); which was running Fedora 9 with MythTV-0.21, I saw one line
of captions and that would stay on the screen for the rest of the
recording.  But since I moved my MythTV backend to new hardware and
CentOS 5.2, I haven't seen captioning on any HD shows.

I've made sure that the CC setting is on via the menu.  I've also
tried toggling between the two ATSC caption formats (EIA-608 EIA-708);
which doesn't seem to make any difference.  I can accept that HDTV
captions might be a feature that isn't working 100%; but what I'd like
to know is: why did it work under Fedora 9 and not CentOS 5.2?

Also - does transcoding wipe out the HD caption data?  I've tried
playing LiveTV recordings (which weren't touched by the transcoder)
and didn't see captions on those either.

Does anyone have any tips?

Thanks