[mythtv-users] Why RAID 5 stops working in 2009

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Fri Oct 24 17:07:15 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 10:11 AM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:

> If you do that, could you please post your results on line somewhere?  I'm
> in the process of getting all the pieces for a 20 disk raid box, and I
> will need to make some decisions in the next couple of weeks on how to
> structure the filesystem.  Right now it looks like 4 x 5 - 1TB disk RAID5
> at full buildout.  I'm starting with 3 1TB drives and will grow those to
> the first 5 disk RADI5 eventually.  But if ZFS can be made to grow from 3
> to 5 disks, and then then stick those 5 disk bundles together, that would
> be really cool.

I will, but I'm still a few months out most likely. I don't think you would
be able to add disks to the individual raidz, you would create a new one in
the pool. So you will have a second parity disk, but that's a good thing
with a 20 disk RAID. I'd probably put 5 disks in each raidz and put the 4
raidz devices into a single pool. Then create the filesystems on top of all
that. Then you can lose any 1 disk in each 5-disk raidz before losing data.

This is all based on reading the docs, I haven't tried it myself on real
hardware yet. If you have zfs-fuse installed, you can use files as the block
devices in ZFS (loopback filesystem images). So you can do this testing
yourself on your intended platform. I might try it in VMWare myself now that
I think about it. :)