[mythtv-users] Why RAID 5 stops working in 2009

David Schlenk mythtv at schdav.org
Fri Oct 24 19:32:28 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 2:24 PM, Brad DerManouelian
<myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> On Oct 24, 2008, at 11:58 AM, David Schlenk wrote:
>
>> Not to be a debbie downer or anything but man, I wish I could afford
>> to worry about my 16 disk RAID array for TELEVISION.
>>
>> /jealous.
>
> I think the idea is that you have a 16 disk array for all of your
> storage needs and television happens to be one of them. I imagine a
> future where it's ridiculous to not have a RAID array in your home to
> store/protect important data.
>
> -Brad

Yeah but even still, my "important data" vs television storage needs
are different enough that I'd probably keep them separate unless I
moved up a tax bracket or two.

This kind of topic does seem to underline the two camps that use Myth
- those who have access to old hardware for cheap or free and make a
DVR out of it for less than a tivo + lifetime that has way more
capabilities, and those who are looking to make the most insane home
media solution money can buy. Both are really interesting uses and its
nice that the same project can cater to both kinds of users.